Friday, November 25, 2005

Don't Cry for Me, Argentina!

Okay, here's the story:  David's dad (Granddaddy) had an episode with his heart last week.  They did a heart cath. on Monday and found significant blockage where they put in a stent about 7 years ago, when he had a major MI.  They went in on Wednesday with another cath to see if they could clear the blockage that way, but they could not.  Surgery is not an option ... he's too frail.  Now they have him on medication to see if they can get the heart to compensate for the blockage by "growing" extra vessels around the blockage.  They have been trying to get him out of the Cardiac Unit, but when they pulled his IV's out, he started having pain again.  Right now things are up in the air ... other than plans to use some kind of therapy where the blood is forced up into his heart to see if that will spur the heart into growing the new vessels, along with the medication.

David left with Colin (who has a special bond with Granddaddy) on Tuesday, driving to Jackson.  On Wednesday, all but a plague of locusts hit my house.  Somehow, while taking the trash bag out of the can, I felt something go "Splersh" in my back.  Not a pop, but an ooze of pain that started in my back and radiated out on both sides.  At the same time I felt a cold coming on, with sore throat and other accompaniments thereto.  The pain in my back got worse as the night wore on, and woke me up every time I rolled over.  By the time I woke up Thursday morning I was in agony and barely able to walk.  This is where the new hardwood floors came in handy ... I could sit and push/slide myself around on the floor! 

Now, I am NOT one to rush to the ER every time I feel a twinge, but pain that is so bad that I am in tears, crying out, and scaring the poop out of my kids, makes me go to the ER.  I managed to drive myself there, (it's just around the  block) and hobble into the lobby.  I said, "Is this the right place to be if I'm in PAIN?" and proceeded to blubber like a little baby.  Apparently a stupid little move that ordinarily would go unnoticed can often cause ligaments to be pulled along the spine.  See if I ever empty the trash again! 

Armed with Valium and Hydrocodone, I headed home and to bed with an ice bag.  I lay on my bed of pain (in the back and in the head) thinking about ordering pizza for Thanksgiving dinner ... but I couldn't stand the thought of my kids having no Thanksgiving.  Quentin helped me put the turkey (already prepared the night before) into the oven, and leaning against a stool I was able to make all the fixin's ... smashed 'taters, sweet 'taters, cornbread dressin', green beans, and rolls.  Oh and cranberry sauce out of the can .. gotta love it.  We all looked so pitiful sitting around the table ... our small little group. 

I wasn't feeling too sorry for myself ... okay, I'm lying; yes I was, I was miserable.  Sometimes Life really sucks.  My mom tells the story of the Christmas when my dad was in a hospital in Dallas, recovering from surgery, and she was home alone (in Louisiana) with three little kids.  Someone called her from Dad's hospital room and a bunch of his co-workers were having a big old party up there, whooping & hollering.  She said she had never felt so low in her life ... so lots of sympathy from there! 

I know that there are so many people out there who have it so much worse than I.  I have so much to be thankful for ... honest.  But I guess I wouldn't be human if I didn't have just a little pity party!!   Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: