Thursday, May 3, 2007

Disney is for Grown Ups Too!

David and I celebrated our 20th anniversary with a trip to Disney World ... without the kids!  It was sooo much fun, I can't begin to express how much fun it was.  I had suggested it because back in the fall when we went I had a terrible time, was alone with Melanie the whole time, while all the others were having fun.  So I wanted to go and have a good time!  And man did we ever.  We were met at the door of the hotel (Grand Floridian) by our personal valet (shall I say valette - she was a lady) who guided us to the honeymoon floor (i.e. no kids running up & down the hall).  In our room we found a bottle of champagne chilling in an ice bucket and an autographed photo of our hosts (Mickey & Minnie).  Our balcony overlooked the lagoon.  There was a daily hors d'oeuvres buffet every afternoon on our floor, with various wine and beer selections.

That evening we ate dinner at "bluezoo" which is Todd English's restaurant at the Dolphin resort.  The next morning we headed over to the Animal Kingdom for a "behind the scenes" safari tour.  Then David got me on Expedition Everest, which is Disney's newest roller coaster.  It was too cool!!

That evening we had booked a couple's massage at the spa.  Was it coincidence that the lady who was massaging David was from New Orleans, and that the lady who was my masseuse was from the Philippines? 

Then ... dinner at Victoria & Albert at our hotel.  Exquisite ... delectable.  Over the top.  Any meal that includes Iranian caviar and chocolate mousse is just too ... too ... indescribable.  For a long time my favorite restaurant on the planet was Gabrielle's at the Richmond Hill Inn in Asheville, NC.  I think it's a definite second now.  We had duck ... we had lamb.  I had a filet of turbot (fish) with lemon caper sauce.  And a wine pairing .. different one with every course.

Saturday was a Segway tour of Epcot.  Quentin says we look like dorks in the picture.  You be the judge.  Sunday ... MGM Studios, where we went on Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster.  Too fun. 

Sigh... re-entry was hard.  Real life beckons ...

No comments: