Monday, August 21, 2006

Let There Be Lights!

We have cannister lights!  The wiring is almost complete!  We still have no sheetrock!  By the end of the week, we should have it!  In the meantime, we seemed to have settled into a routine.  I've learned to cook around the mess, and put up more shelves in the dining room to make more room.  The dust is there, but my lungs seem to have gotten used to it.  I'm posting some more pictures of the great crew who is taking care of us.

In the meantime, we have Colin's open house today ... will he really be a junior in high school?  Melanie is all set to go to the Bright Beginnings Preschool on Sept. 5.  She'll go from 7:30 - 1:45 every day.  On Sept. 12 she'll have her nasal endoscopy (what fun!) and I suppose after that Dr. Matthews will let us know what (if any) surgery will be needed to get her that closure.  Her speech is still not really clear, although now & then she'll say something clear as a bell (like "LET GO!" or "STOP IT!")  I know she knows all the words, she is quite fluent in English, that's not a problem.  It's all mechanics from this point.  Bless her heart.

The other three seem to have settled into their school routine; except that Christian announced last night (Sunday!) at 8:30 that he had some homework to do.  ARKGHGH!!!!  Oh well, he got it done in 30 minutes.  He seems really happy to go to school, as does Lisa.  Quentin is slogging through Homer's "The Odyssey".  I have to say I never read that in all my years of education, although I did once have to read "The Brothers Karamazov" over Christmas break.  What agony that was!  For my part, I have just finised "Flags of My Fathers" about the Iwo Jima folks.  It was so good, now David is reading it.  I came across a book called "Waltzing With a Dictator" about the US foreign policy during the Marcos regime in the Philippines.  It's somewhat dated, written in 1987, before the bases were shut down, but it's a fascinating read for someone who lived her tender teenage years there (me).  Amazing to know all the stuff that was going on.  Lots of discussion about Ambassador Sullivan, who lived down the street from us, literally, and who went to our church.  I'm such a history geek ... I really, really need to go back to school.  Hello UNCC?

No comments: