Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Chicago is Wicked

Yes, we actually went to see Wicked Friday night in Chicago.  I am not really a big fan of plays ... I went to see "Phantom" once and my friends had built it up into this huge, life changing event, but when the last curtain fell, I was like, "Wha?  That's it?"  But, lemme tell you, "Wicked" was, like, totally awesome.  The sets were stunning eye candy, the singing phenomenal, the story hilarious ("But there's a goat on the lam!" was my favorite line).  I can't wait until they put Wicked on the road and they come to Charlotte.  It was just too ... too ... well, really good.

I actually made it to Chicago without incident (our reunions are usually fraught with missed flights, bad weather, etc.  Need I remind myself of the time returning from Minneapolis I had to sleep, literally, on the floor of the Detroit airport?)  I found two of our group of 7 and we cabbed it to the condo.  We walked to the Jewel (grocery store) and stocked up on noshes and wine.  Ordered in Chinese for dinner as we waited for the last of our group to arrive (Pattie).  We stayed up too late talking and reading magazines ... perfect!  The next day we spent at MiSpa on Michigan avenue -- very nice, but very slow.  They were so late in serving us our lunches that we were about to eat the sea shell scrub they were using on our feet.  But I have beautiful red toenails to show for it.  We dolled ourselves up that night for a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant that was decorated like Captain Nemo's ship, very trippy!  We then sprinted for the Ford Oriental Theater (it was a little farther away from the restaurant than we thought).  We found our seats, and almost immediately the lights went down. 

The next morning we got up around noon (isn't that what girls' weekends are all about?) and headed to the Navy Pier.  UGH ... don't go there.  Really, don't.  Avoid it at all costs.  Can you say MILLIONS of people?  Okay, the only redeeming thing about it was sitting on the end of the pier (with the millions of people behind us) and watching the boats go by on Lake Michigan.  It was a beautiful day, not too hot, cool breezes, sunshine.  And for a moment you could forget the teeming hordes of humanity.  We made our way up to the Magnificent Mile and did some shopping. Then as the sun went down, we went to the Hancock Building observatory.  Beautiful views of the city, but a little tricky for yours truly, who has a terrible fear of heights.  Let's just say I spent the whole time with my body plastered against the inner wall of the building.

The next day we spent browsing in all the little shops and boutiques in Bucktown ... very bohemian, hippy type area.  That night we had dinner at the Chicago Firehouse.  Excellent food.  What would a girls' weekend be, of course, without someone getting sick .. we lost two of our ladies to a stomach scourge. 

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.  Tara and I slipped out of the condo before 7 Monday morning and schlepped our stuff to the train for the airport.  She was going to O'Hare and I to Midway, so we hopped on our respective lines.  Unfortunately, I got on the wrong train -- Green instead of Orange.  Luckily I realized it after only one stop, so I just hopped off and got on the train going the other way.  No time was lot, thank goodness.  I thought it was going to be the usual transportation disaster.  I was home by noon to some children who were really glad to have their mom back.  I have been gone entirely too much this summer, and now I'm ready to put my mom hat back on.  School for three of them starts August 9th (ACK!) so we have to do some speed reading of our required summer books.  Uniform shopping ... school supplies ...  

MyCamera had died in Kazakhstan, so I'm relying on my girls to loan me their pictures.  Stay tuned! 

No comments: