Monday, May 15, 2006

Back to Kazakhstan, Part Trois?

This will be my third trip to Kazakhstan.  David has been back four times ... two adoption trips, and two playground trips.  I am really, really looking forward to this, and we leave one month from yesterday.  Debi's and my visas arrived on Thursday, and my plane tickets arrived on Saturday.  All we have to do now is pack -- and find somewhere to stay in Amsterdam.  I have a million emails out to Bed & Breakfast places; surely one will have a corner for us to flop into.  Then there's always the Hilton, but we want to stay somewhere with character!  We'll fly from here to Washington DC, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Almaty.  Coming home it's Almaty, Frankfurt, Munich, Charlotte.  (Then of course New Orleans for Debi).

Unfortunately I'm not as tech-savvy as David is, and I don't think I'll be taking the laptop.  I'm hoping I'll be able to find an internet cafe here and there, but the pictures might have to wait until we get back.

Got an email today from Aida, our interpreter during our Taldy-Korgan trip to adopt Melanie.  (See entries dated October 2004 for more about her!)  She doesn't work for WPA any more, but Debi and I will have a full day on Sunday before the rest of the playground folks arrive to visit with her.  She is sooo much fun to be around and I can't wait to introduce Debi to her. 

I had a nice weekend at Lake Lure with my friends Mona & Sue.  We went horseback riding (through a river!) and kayaking (boy do my arms hurt!) ate a lot, and slept; and read books.  Shopped a little.  Overall very restful and relaxing.  David and the rest treated me like the Queen of Sheba yesterday ("you are SO not doing the dishes, mom!")  Now if I can just get through this week of 1000 doctor appointments (Me, Melanie, Lisa), play practices (Quentin's play on Friday), my Mom and Dad's arrival on Thursday, speech therapy, and Melanie's surgery on Friday.  <phew>  Can't believe it's the last full week of school for the Southlake kids. 

It was a little weird being gone this weekend for 3 nights.  It's going to be quite traumatic for all when I am gone for 2 weeks.  David is planning a trip to Mississippi while I'm away, so maybe that will help the time click away quickly for the kidlets.

No comments: