Thursday, April 6, 2006

Peas and Quiet

Just sitting here with the doors and windows open, enjoying the cool spring air.  It's been so nice at night too, that we've been sleeping with our door open; the one that opens to the screened-in porch from our bedroom.  Everyone is at school and I'm enjoying being alone ... I had a busy morning:  Melanie to school, got my hair trimmed, the car washed and the grocery shopping done.  Ran by my favorite Mombo Boffo burrito place on the way home and indulged.  Now it's just me and the dog for another hour and a half.  Aaaahhhh.

David's bro and sister in law stopped by night before last on their way down to Mississippi to do some post-Katrina work with their church.  It was good to see them.  I can't believe the last time we saw them was at the Outer Banks last March.  Shame on us.

David survived the Cactus Tour just fine ... with a little farmers' tan and sore muscles.  It is sure nice to have him back. 

I want to find whoever it was who invented Daylight Savings Time and slug him.  This whole week has been awful -- I feel like I'm drugged.  One afternoon I slept hard for 30 minutes when I just put my head back on the couch.  And dreamed!  I feel like I'm in a fog.  I think today is the first day that I've felt halfway normal.

News flash!  I have invited my sister to come on the Kazakhstan playground trip with us!  I am so fired up ... I was kinda dreading going alone.  Not dreading so much as sad that I wouldn't have someone to share the trip with.  I never in a zillion years thought she would say yes ... she's very much a homebody ... but given the alternative between teaching summer school and going on a global, jet-setting adventure.... well, it was a no-brainer, I think.  The latest bulletin was that we are still planning to arrive June 10.  We'll be in a tiny town called Esik, about an hour from Almaty, and in Petropavlovsk, in the extreme north of Kaz., almost to the Russian border.  I'm hoping Debi and I can stop off in Amsterdam or somewhere in Europe for a day to break up the trip.  Stay tuned.

No comments: