Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Bring Out the Goldfish!

Dr. Matthews today gave Melanie the okay to resume her former eating habits.  He says all looks good, and will see her again in three months.  After that, six months.  In the meantime, he'll follow her speech therapy.  We did discuss the possibility of another surgery in a years' time to lengthen her palate, if her speech remains "nasal".  He does not like "pharyngeal flap" surgery, which is a barbaric sounding procedure in which part of the palate is sewn to the back of the throat (just reading about it gives me the willies!) since it tends to cause sleep apnea.  (Guess so!)  At any rate, I'm excited that now we can start with the "real" speech therapy, and I'm hopeful that we'll see some progress pretty quickly.  He said he probably wouldn't worry about the more cosmetic surgeries until she is in 1st or 2nd grade.  He said typically kindergarteners don't tease each other about differences.  At any rate, he said, with her personality if someone made fun of her, she'd probably just push them down!  Boy does he have her pegged!  She is full of beans.  I have no worries about her standing up for herself.

We celebrated this afternoon with a bowl of Chex Mix! 

I have been flat worn out the last couple of weeks.  Melanie has been so TWO it's not funny.  Throwing herself on the floor, screaming, throwing things.  But when it's all said and done, and she's fresh from her bath, smelling like soap and with damp hair, her footie pajamas on, and a little sleepy, I could just eat her up.  Yah, I am too old to have a two year old, my knees and muscles tell me that on a daily basis.  But ya know what, I wouldn't trade this for a million bucks.  When I think that I will be 60 by the time she graduates from high school ... well, I just don't think about that too often!

No comments: