Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bad Mommy, Bad Mommy

The green guilt monster has struck.  I took Melanie to our scheduled ENT visit.  We were there to have her hearing tested ... one possible aspect of cleft lip & palate is ear/hearing involvement.  He took one look in her ears and pronounced her the victim of "raging ear infections".  Ugh.  I knew she had what appeared to be a little cold, with runny nose and cough, but she had no fever, no crankiness (out of the ordinary) and no pulling at the ears.  <sigh> poor baby; forty lashes with a wet noodle for me for not taking her in to be checked.  Needless to say we postponed the hearing test, and started her on a course of ABX (onmnicef). 

Yesterday Southlake had no school, so I schlepped Lisa and Christian with us to Melanie's 9am speech appointment.  Dropped Lisa at Natalia's house for the day, then drove downtown to apply for Quentin's passport.  He is going to Kazakhstan with David this summer with the playground team.  There was a humongo line, so we punted and had lunch with Dad instead.  Home for a while, then took Colin to speech (as he is having some issues as well).  Home again, home again, jiggety jig.

Today was pretty much the same.  Go, go go.  Had to be at school at 8:00 to teach a bunch of 2nd graders about origami.  They're studying Japan ... even taught them some phrases and a song (I really am the shy and retiring type).  Then to the grocery, then BACK to the school to deliver muffins at lunchtime to celebrate Lisa's birthday.  Home for a quick nap, then off to the ENT.  Then to pharmacy, then home to meet bus, then to Lisa's piano lesson.  I decided to treat myself (and the three younger kids) to dinner at Outback, plus a nice glass of Cabernet (yes I deserve it, darn it!)  Now if they'd just go to bed I could curl up in bed and read my new book.  Oh, David's in Toronto.  I'm sooo looking forward to this weekend ... Mona and I are heading up to the mountains and spending a quiet weekend in Asheville.  I hear the spa at the Grove Park Inn calling my name ....

Post Script:  My "curling up in bed with my book" lasted exactly 15 minutes, and I was off to dreamland at 8:45 p.m.!  Good grief ... but I felt amazingly awake and alert this morning when the alarm went off at 5!  It's raining, cold and supposed to snow tonight (maybe).  Mona and I may have to pack our mukluks for our weekend in Asheville.  Amazingly, Melanie sounds much better this morning, after only one dose of ABX!

No comments: