Saturday, February 5, 2005

The Big Bang Theory

I write the "Big Bang Theory" because I imagine that's what happened.  There was a wonderful galaxial convergence, all was well, and then KAPOW everything was reduced to cosmic dust.  Right at the apex of my joy over everything at University Oral Surgery ... and in the middle of putting 5 kids to bed Thursday night, the phone rings, and it's Dr. Rider.  (Dr. Rider is the orthodontist who works with Dr. M.)  I had called his office and Dr. M's to tell them we would be using a different practice because of everything that has been going on.  Dr. Rider proceeded to tell me I was doing Melanie a big disservice; that Dr. M. was the best at what he does, world renowned, etc., etc., even implying that they might do her more harm than good (imagine!)  Of course I was completely hit from left field with this, and, like the girl I am, was in tears before the conversation was over.  He told me that Dr. M. does hundreds of palate repairs every year, and people come to him from South America, etc. and University maybe does 1-2 palates a year.

At first I was angry at being put on the spot, and outraged at the arrogance ... but now I see that what Dr. Rider said is true.  Dr. M. actually called me the next day and I laid it all out for him.  I told him about the messages that were not returned, the lack of information, the delays ... and he apologized profusely.  He told me he never got my messages, was angry that his staff never called me back.  He is in the process of moving to a new office, and things are just in turmoil.  Sooo ....

I suppose we are back to square one.  I know it sounds crazy ... I never asked University how many palate repairs they actually do yearly ... as wonderful as they all were, my conscience just won't let me give Melanie anything but the best.  I'm just so angry and embarrassed.  Of course.  And feeling awkward.  I never thought that this would play out so crazily.  It's awful.  The actual surgery will be easier than this was.

David is in New Orleans, so there were several cell phone calls between here and there ... one from the plane that had just landed in N.O.  I never heard so much hooping & hollering on a plane!  Apparently it was filled with college kids heading to Mardi Gras ... wahoo!

Then I woke up this morning to a freezing cold downstairs .. the heater has gone out in the night!  Wait... was that an iceberg?  When it rains it pours.

No comments: