Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dad

Daddy died peacefully on Friday August 15.  He had been unresponsive for about a day and a half before, so there was no suffering.  It is surreal ... and for some strange reason, the world keeps on going.  People still do their stuff, planes keep flying, kids keep playing outside.  Death is not special.

When I got to Baton Rouge on Monday he was awake.  He looked me in the eye and told me he was ready to die.  (Direct quote).  I told him that if that was his wish, that we were behind him 100%.  He had been talking to Tim, the deacon at his church, and had made his spiritual peace. 

The only prayer that I had was that it would be quick.  And that prayer was answered.  As I was flying home, it was a beautiful sunny day and looking out the window I envisioned Dad's spirit shooting heavenward.  What a beautiful day for his soul to be free.

No comments: