Thursday, October 28, 2004

Say "AAAHHH"...

 Note from Editor:   Sorry folks, but Liz couldn't get the pictures to load in her email, so I have none to post...however, she did send her latest entry -- Enjoy...David

Go RED SOX!! WOO HOO!! Melanie had another early wake-up call ... 7:00. It doesn't sound all that early, but it doesn't get light here until 8:00, so technically it's still nighttime. She went to bed at 10:30 last night, due to her 2 hour nap yesterday from 3-5. Since we were up, we caught the opening pitch of the World Series, and Damon's 1st inning home run. What a great game! Vitallik came to pick us up right at the beginning of the bottom of the 9th ... what torture. I was pretty secure knowing that they would pull it off, and only a miracle would help the Cardinals come back from a 3 run deficit. Just wish I could have seen the jubilation. But I'm sure they'll be showing it over & over.

Speaking of baseball championships ... did I mention that Christian's team, the Twins, WON THE HYAA COACH PITCH CHAMPIONSHIP last Saturday?? WOO HOO! Way to go, Coach James .. wish I could have been there to see you jumping up & down for those boys. I know you are so proud of them. You have been a wonderful coach and you have made Christian's year! Every time they have called this week, he hasn't wanted to talk to me because he was engrossed in the World Series! I think you have instilled a love for baseball in him that will last him the rest of his life!

Today was Melanie's appointment at the SOS Clinic. The US government requires that a newly adopted child have a certificate that he or she is healthy enough to immigrate to the US, and has no communicable diseases. It is a very nice clinic, by Western standards! A beautiful, new building in a neighborhood setting. The nurse and doctor were both Russian women. We also ran into the Gaffneys and the Allens, both WPA families who have been in Kokshetau for a long time, and their babies Jacob and Grace. There were also two single women with other agencies with their precious new children. It was good to chat and hear names like "Cincinatti" and "Jacksonville". We even found the most recent issue of Time magazine, in English! Melanie was obviously upset to be at the clinic. I don't know if it reminded her of her surgery or what, but she was whiney, wriggly and not happy. Luckily for us, Vitallik was there to sling her around, which she loves. But she fell asleep in the car, and when Vitallik got out at the Ramstore, she jolted awake and cried! Guess he's her replacement Papa for this week. Vitallik told us today that for two years he was on President Nazerbaev's security detail. Wow. I felt safe with him before, but now I know he would have wrestled those Chechens to the ground with one arm tied behind his back. And made them beg for mercy!

Since Melanie was so cranky, I decided to bring her back to the apartment for a nap, and Vitallik has taken mom to the Zolyoni Bazaar. I guess I'll have to miss it; I'm sure I'll get a full report when mom gets home. I'm shopped out and desperately need Melanie to sleep all night, and I think the screwed up nap schedule has got her out of whack.

Getting back to the clinic ... we have another small surprise to add to Melanie's medical file: hip dysplasia! I had noticed that she walked a little awkwardly on her left leg, but the doctor confirmed that she herad some "noise" when she manipulated that hip. <sigh> Poor baby .. but only an x-ray at home with confirm if there is a major concern. I'm not going to worry about it until then. I don't know much about it ... (I know a lot about cleft l&p!!) ... wasn't prepared for this one! Such is the nature of international adoption. Other than that, she appears very healthy and is only behind on one vaccination. They take really good care of these babies!!

Tonight: another wild WPA party at the American Grill. News at 11. And for whomever left the book "The Malaria Capers" in our apartment, THANK YOU ... it is a fascinating read!

No comments: